Fourth annual Turkey Trot is a success
The Kirkwood Student Nursing Association (KSNA) held its fourth annual Turkey Trot on Nov. 5.
“This year’s 5K race had 46 runners and walkers registered at race time,” said Kirkwood Community College Nursing Instructor Nicoleta Nica. Nica also said that once again, the students plan to use the profits this year as donations to His Hands, which is a free medical clinic located in Cedar Rapids, and help pay expenses to a nursing conference.
The race got off to a chilly start with the temperature being only 42 degrees but that didn’t seem to deter any of the participants. Changes in this year’s race, included overall male and overall female finishers in first, second and third place. Another new addition included official race times being tracked and recorded courtesy of On The Run Race Timing. They provided each runner with a timing chip that went on their shoes to record start and finish times. Digital clocks were also provided at the end of the race so that racers could see their finish time.
First place overall male winner was Adam Kassem of Cedar Rapids, a Kirkwood nursing student, finishing with a time of 17:46. First place overall female winner was Alice Anderson, of Marion, finishing with a time of 19:45. The first-place finishers received a turkey as their prize. Kids who participated received a medal and all runners were given an event t-shirt.
Volunteers once again helped make this a successful event by helping pass out water to racers, helping with registration and many other details that helped make a difference, according to Nika.
To help with the Turkey Trot next year, students can contact Nicoleta Nica at email@example.com.
Race Standings Provided by: On The Run Race Timing
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program