The length of Winter Break is just right
Students at Kirkwood Community College are given from Dec. 16 until Jan. 17 to go home, spend time with family, enjoy the holidays and relax. It is also time to prepare for the upcoming semester.
Those who are unhappy with how winter break is set up say a full month is too long and that it causes students to get lazy. These arguments are wholly unrealistic, with no evidence to support them. Students that have never had such a long break are very excited to experience their first Winter Break at Kirkwood. It’s a well-needed break that helps students wind down and get rid of the stress from the first semester.
Some students have homes to go to that are located at distances which are not reasonable for two week breaks. Students should be able to spend as much time with their family and friends over the break that they can get in. Understandably, not everyone experiences these issues. A lot of people that attend Kirkwood live in the surrounding area and are able to see their family frequently.
A long break is a benefit, not a vice. It allows students to work more than during the semester. There are also Winter Semester classes offered through Kirkwood that students can complete to get some extra credits in. Students are not the only ones to gain from a month-long break. Instructors and other faculty members are able to stay home, spend time with their families, and do the things that they’re too busy to do during the semester. They also need time to relax.
The Winter Break at Kirkwood is a month-long because a majority of people don’t want it to change. The length of the vacation is needed. If a petition were to be sent in, there is no doubt in my mind that a month would still be the holiday length.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program