College to host Dance Marathon
In years past Kirkwood Community College has participated in the Cedar Rapids Dance Marathon along with Mount Mercy University and Coe College. However, this year will be different.
Shelby Crist, coordinator of Housing and Student Life at Kirkwood Community College and Dance Marathon advisor, said she decided to move forward with the idea of the college hosting its own event.
“Cedar Rapids Dance Marathon has hosted here but we have never hosted our very own event. We are the only community college in the nation to host our very own marathon on our own campus,” said Crist.
Crist said students should register online by going to the Dance Marathon page on the Kirkwood website and clicking the link. There is a $10 registration fee, which covers a t-shirt and water bottle that is given to each participant upon arrival. Crist added that each participant should raise a minimum of $50. She said, “Ask five people for $10, or 20 people for $5.”
All money raised goes to University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa. More than 75 students are registered to attend, but Crist said she is expecting more.
She added that participants are not required to dance. During the event students can compete in a bag toss tournament and dodge ball and enter prize drawings.
Kirkwood’s Dance Marathon will be Friday, Feb. 17, from 6 p.m. – midnight. Crist said if students have questions they can stop by her office in Student Life, Iowa Hall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program