College to host Dance Marathon
In years past Kirkwood Community College has participated in the Cedar Rapids Dance Marathon along with Mount Mercy University and Coe College. However, this year will be different.
Shelby Crist, coordinator of Housing and Student Life at Kirkwood Community College and Dance Marathon advisor, said she decided to move forward with the idea of the college hosting its own event.
“Cedar Rapids Dance Marathon has hosted here but we have never hosted our very own event. We are the only community college in the nation to host our very own marathon on our own campus,” said Crist.
Crist said students should register online by going to the Dance Marathon page on the Kirkwood website and clicking the link. There is a $10 registration fee, which covers a t-shirt and water bottle that is given to each participant upon arrival. Crist added that each participant should raise a minimum of $50. She said, “Ask five people for $10, or 20 people for $5.”
All money raised goes to University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa. More than 75 students are registered to attend, but Crist said she is expecting more.
She added that participants are not required to dance. During the event students can compete in a bag toss tournament and dodge ball and enter prize drawings.
Kirkwood’s Dance Marathon will be Friday, Feb. 17, from 6 p.m. – midnight. Crist said if students have questions they can stop by her office in Student Life, Iowa Hall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum