Lorenzo Elion commits to Iowa
Kirkwood shortstop is Iowa City bound
As a high school sophomore, Eagles player Lorenzo Elion said he was already beginning to draw a lot of attention to himself on the baseball diamond.
The University of Michigan was one of the first programs to recruit him and Elion said he jumped on the opportunity immediately. Elion added that he comes from a high school where going to the next level is expected, which makes standing out increasingly difficult.
After coming to Kirkwood Community College and having an open discussion with his family, Elion said he decided to de-commit from the University of Michigan and reopen his recruitment.
Native to Chicago and not knowing what to expect being away from home for the first time in his life, Elion said he knew he had found a new home in Iowa and ultimately decided to commit to the University of Iowa.
“After coming to Kirkwood to prepare for Michigan, I had a change of heart and realized I wasn’t feeling it anymore,” Elion also stated. “The guys on the team here made me feel at home again so I knew I wanted to stay in Iowa.”
Elion said he plans to be a two-way player, playing shortstop as well as pitcher. While he still believes shortstop is his best position, Elion said he enjoys that he’ll still be able to pitch for the Hawkeyes.
Elion said he believes that one of his greatest strengths is his eye for the ball; he is able to put up eye popping numbers, but also able to watch for bad pitches and lay off of them.
He said he would like to improve on his speed as he believes he can get even faster. Elion expressed that he is nervous and excited to see what such a big university will have in store for him but is also excited to meet new guys and get more exposure.
But he said the first thing on his list is to, “Win a national championship with Kirkwood.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program