Kirkwood athletics displays versatility
Baseball team lends talent to basketball team
Four members of the Kirkwood Community College baseball team stepped onto the basketball court for the first time in their college careers on Jan. 21 in a game against Des Moines Area Community College.
The baseball players were asked to fill in for several athletes who were temporarily suspended following an altercation during a game against Ellsworth Community College the week before. The Eagles won the game, 89-53.
Cal Clark, who plays second base for the Eagles, said it was short notice. “We found out Thursday that we needed to play a game that Saturday so we practiced Thursday and Friday and focused on footwork and learning the plays - sort of their basic defensive principles,” said Clark.
He added, “It was things we needed to know so that if we did need to play, our minds wouldn’t be blown and we would have a little bit of an understanding of what we were supposed to do.”
According to Clark, “There is a big difference between being in shape for basketball and being in shape for baseball.”
He added that the coaches and basketball players were positive and encouraging throughout the entire two days they worked together on the court.
The Eagles baseball players helped the basketball players earn a victory over DMACC, 58 - 50.
The team continued its winning streak with victories against Grant View University (99 - 63), Iowa Central Community College (101 - 72), North Iowa Community College (68 - 60) and Iowa Lakes Community College (97 - 66).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program