First scholarships deadline is March 15
Kirkwood Community College has almost 400 different scholarship funds available and the first deadline to apply is March 15.
Each fund has different criteria to meet so in order to make the process easier, Kirkwood has created one online application that helps determine which funds students are eligible for.
Jody Donaldson, scholarship and alumni officer for the Kirkwood Foundation, said the role of the foundation is to raise money to provide scholarships for Kirkwood students.
The foundation has a team of six people who work to raise scholarship money and get students those scholarships. Donaldson said, “Obviously college tuition isn’t free and we don’t want the tuition to be a barrier to student success.”
Lexi Ridout, social services major, said, “I thought the process went really well. They made it easy to sign up online.”
After the initial March 15 deadline, the first round of awards will go out. The application will still be open until the next deadline on July 15.
If a student is selected to receive a scholarship, they get an email to their Kirkwood address. After that, Donaldson said the student will need to accept the award and send a thank you note. The scholarship amount will then be applied toward their tuition with the student receiving half the amount in the fall and the other half in the spring.
Donaldson said, “In 2005, we awarded $995,000 and in 2016, $3.1 million.”
Students can apply for scholarships online at www.kirkwood.edu/scholarships. This website also gives students guidance and suggestions when completing the applications. One of those pieces of advice is, “Make sure the information you provide explains your interest in the academic program you have chosen and why you believe you deserve a scholarship.”
Students only need to fill out the application form one time per academic year. However, if a student has a change and needs to add something to their application, they can do so, as long as they re-submit that application by the deadline.
For more information or if students have further questions they can contact the scholarship office at (319) 398-5442 or email email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
- The future of 3D printing is bright and strong
- Baseball finishes 7-4 in Florida
- Eagles kick off season
- Student-run club promotes acceptance among all students
- Plants provide inexpensive health remedy and stress relief
- Recent novel appeals to wide variety of readers
- Nintendo Switch early success following release
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses