One application needed for Kirkwood scholarships
Over $3 million awarded last year
Kirkwood Community College has almost 400 different scholarship funds available and the first deadline to apply is March 15.
Each fund has different criteria to meet so in order to make the process easier, Kirkwood has created one online application that helps determine which funds students are eligible for.
Jody Donaldson, scholarship and alumni officer for the Kirkwood Foundation, said the role of the foundation is to raise money to provide scholarships for Kirkwood students.
The foundation has a team of six people who work to raise scholarship money and get students those scholarships. Donaldson said, “Obviously college tuition isn’t free and we don’t want the tuition to be a barrier to student success.”
Lexi Ridout, social services major, said, “I thought the process went really well. They made it easy to sign up online.”
After the initial March 15 deadline, the first round of awards will go out. The application will still be open until the next deadline on July 15.
If a student is selected to receive a scholarship, they get an email to their Kirkwood address. After that, Donaldson said the student will need to accept the award and send a thank you note. The scholarship amount will then be applied toward their tuition with the student receiving half the amount in the fall and the other half in the spring.
Donaldson said, “In 2005, we awarded $995,000 and in 2016, $3.1 million.”
Students can apply for scholarships online at www.kirkwood.edu/scholarships. This website also gives students guidance and suggestions when completing the applications. One of those pieces of advice is, “Make sure the information you provide explains your interest in the academic program you have chosen and why you believe you deserve a scholarship.”
Students only need to fill out the application form one time per academic year. However, if a student has a change and needs to add something to their application, they can do so, as long as they re-submit that application by the deadline.
For more information or if students have further questions they can contact the scholarship office at (319) 398-5442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum