Students vow "Not Anymore"
According to a study completed by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center in 2015, one in five women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. This study also showed that more than 90 percent of sexual assault victims do not report the assault.
Sexual assault is a serious crime. Victims/survivors experience a period of trauma and often blame themselves to some degree. Kirkwood Community College alongside many resources and advocates are here to say, “It’s not your fault.”
The college has taken action to help students on campus be safe as well as understand where and how to report sexual assault. Students are required to take part in “Not Anymore”, a free interactive online program designed to help students prevent sexual assault, dating and domestic violence. The program takes about 60 minutes to complete and it also offers information about free and confidential resources on and off campus.
Though there is a negative stigma toward assault it’s important for students to report it. Not reporting the crime increases the chances the perpetrator will victimize another individual and once again have power. Assault of any kind is about power and who has control. Survivors have the power to make a difference in their own lives and in the lives of others.
If students have any questions about “Not Anymore” or how to report an assault they can contact Dean of Students, Melissa Payne at 319-398-5584 or Associate Dean of Students, Bobbi Miller at 319-398-7798. The sexual Assault Hotline is 24 hours a day at 888-557-0310.
Kirkwood also offers free and confidential counseling in Iowa Hall for students The counselors on campus can also connect students to additional resources off campus.
It is important to know that if you are a victim, either male or female: it is not your fault. The college is here to support you and it is dedicated to making the campus safer for all students.
Next month is Sexual Assault Awareness Month so let your voice be heard and help shine a light on a dark, misunderstood subject.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum