Luck of the Irish
According to tradition, Patrick returned to Ireland from Great Britain to convert the Irish to Christianity. The Declaration says that he spent many years evangelizing in the northern half of Ireland and converted thousands. Patrick’s efforts against the druids were eventually turned into a fable in which he drove “snakes” out of Ireland (Ireland never had any snakes).
Tradition holds that he died on March 17 and was buried at Downpatrick. Over the following centuries, many legends grew up around Patrick and he became Ireland’s foremost saint.
According to Philip Freeman, classics professor at Luther College, “The modern celebration of St. Patrick’s Day really has almost nothing to do with the real man.”
He added, “St. Patrick’s Day was basically invented in America by Irish-Americans.”
While not a legal holiday in the United States, it is nonetheless widely recognized and observed throughout the country as a celebration of Irish and Irish-American culture.
Celebrations across the world include prominent displays of the color green, numerous parades and large consumptions of alcohol. On any given day 5.5 million pints of Guinness, the famous Irish stout brand, are consumed around the world.
“But on St. Patrick’s Day, that number more than doubles to 13 million pints,” said Beth Davies Ryan, global corporate-relations director of Guinness.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
- The future of 3D printing is bright and strong
- Baseball finishes 7-4 in Florida
- Eagles kick off season
- Student-run club promotes acceptance among all students
- Plants provide inexpensive health remedy and stress relief
- Recent novel appeals to wide variety of readers
- Nintendo Switch early success following release
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses