Kirkwood offers intramurals for everyone
Various activities promote healthy exercise and fun
Kirkwood Community College provides activities outside of regular collegiate sports referred to as intramurals. These activities are offered throughout the year and are designed for all skill levels. Intramurals allow students to meet new people, while also providing the benefit of healthy exercise.
Activities offered through the intramural program can range from basketball and indoor soccer to rock-paper-scissors and bubble soccer. Intramurals player and Liberal Arts major Anthony Scheer said bubble soccer was his favorite intramural sport.
Bubble soccer consists of the players being inside inflatable bubbles, smashing into each other while playing soccer. Scheer said, “We usually had about half the people just smashing into each other having fun and then a couple people actually playing soccer. I think it’s something unique about Kirkwood.”
Intramural Coordinator Brett Baumgart said that Slip-N-Slide Kickball is one activity the Rec Center is looking to add. He said Slip-N-Slide Kickball would use children’s swimming pools as bases and participants would jump into the pool to be considered safe. Baumgart also said the U.S. Cellular Center is currently offering Human Foosball and said that’s something he would like to see happen at Kirkwood.
While intramural sports offer an opportunity to have fun, they also provide the groundwork for meeting new people and making friends outside of classes. Scheer said, “Student involvement has been huge for me, meeting new people and meeting the staff here at Kirkwood led to a work study job that I also work in Student Life here on campus. It just made my whole experience here at Kirkwood a lot better.”
The Rec Center utilizes imleagues.com and the Rec It app which is available on smartphones to keep students up-to-date with intramural offerings. Students create a login on the website and then join a team or sign up as a free agent. There is no fee for students to use the website or the app.
If students have questions about intramurals or how to sign up, email Baumgart at email@example.com or call the Rec Center at (319)398-5596.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum