Planning can prevent last minute problems
As the end of the spring semester gets closer, preparing for finals allows students to be one stride closer to the finish line. For some, final exams are a checkpoint on their way to success, while for others the race has been an uphill battle.
Students who have lower grades may feel uneasy during last few weeks before final exams and wonder if there is anything they can do to improve their overall scores. Their first thought might be to ask an instructor to allow late work or provide extra credit. However, not all instructors are willing to do this if you, as the student, have not put forth the required effort during the semester.
In many high schools, it is common for students to turn in late work and receive full credit. But, this is college, which requires a higher level of responsibility.
Attending class and turning in work on time is your job as a college student. If students need an extension on an assignment, they should communicate with their instructors ahead of time to ask permission. If an emergency arises, students should communicate with their instructors as soon as they are able. Waiting days or weeks is not acceptable.
So, while it might be easy to place blame on an instructor for a lower grade, it is the responsibility of students to do the work, get it turned in on time, and communicate with their instructors.
Additionally, after midterm grades are posted, students should make face-to-face appointments with their instructors if they are concerned about grades. Waiting until the last few weeks of the semester with the hope of gaining a few extra credit points is not the best practice.
For many students with lower grades, it is not too late to step it up and seriously study for final exams. The college offers free tutoring and the library is open late several days each week. Do what it takes to end the semester on a strong note and be better prepared for what’s ahead, whether it is achieving a higher GPA in the fall or transitioning into the workforce.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum