More instructors should use the Talon system
Many students at Kirkwood Community College appreciate the features provided by Talon but not all instructors use it.
Talon is a useful tool that allows students to go online and see their classes, grades, progress in classes and much more. Many students use it daily, as some instructors provide most of their material on Talon.
The Talon system is especially useful if students have missed class and don’t know what the assignments are or even what was reviewed in class that day.
Instructors often put a link to videos watched in class or a copy of the reading material for that day on Talon. Most instructors will also put a copy of the syllabus on Talon so students can print off a new copy if they lose the one handed out on the first day of class.
So, with how useful Talon is, and the fact that most students rely on it, there should be a policy that requires all instructors to use it.
There are instructors on campus who either do not use it consistently or do not use it at all, which means some students are not aware of their grade in a certain class until midterms are posted on EagleNet.
Some instructors who do not use Talon require students to meet them during office hours. While this may not be a problem for all students, some students are not free during their instructor’s office hours.
Office hours vary by instructor, so often times students will be in class during office hours and cannot go unless they skip class. This presents students with a dilemma that could easily be avoided if the instructor would use Talon.
Instructors also may not be able to meet with students at times that accommodate a student’s schedule because they also have their own schedules.
Sometimes there are circumstances that can’t be helped, so instead of struggling to meet with an instructor, the instructor should be required to put the grades on Talon. This way students won’t be adding additional stress, worrying about grades.
Using Talon is beneficial to both instructors and students. If grades are posted on Talon consistently, then students will be able to stay updated with their grades and the instructors will not have to spend extra time discussing grades with students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum