Professor touts the joys of reading and writing
Linda Schuppener English Professor
Linda Schuppener, professor of literature at Kirkwood Community College, has a welcoming attitude toward the unexpected.
Schuppener's journey toward her current work took her from the University of Illinois, where she began in a Pre-Med program, to the American College in Paris.
"I spent two years there as an English major, where a professor of mine told me, ‘You're a good writer. You should go to the University of Iowa,'" Schuppener recalled.
Schuppener, who has called Kirkwood home for more than 15 years, went on to pursue further degrees in English and American Studies.
Schuppener said the interdisciplinary approach of American Studies, which calls upon knowledge of history, culture and literature, gives a context for literature within society. She said she began to see "how literature taught you about the society that you lived in."
Schuppener said although many students are seeking a more technical education as opposed to one in the arts or humanities, a background in these areas is a huge asset.
"They help you to understand more about human beings," Schuppener said. "And when you know more about human nature, you understand more about how to persuade and encourage people."
Schuppener said she believes that students often "mistake grammar and punctuation for being good writers."
"There is a difference between being a correct writer and a good writer, in having a sense of language and metaphor and symbol," she said.
Schuppener fondly recalled students who, despite a lack of faith in their composition skills, produced beautiful and soulful pieces. Technical skills can be developed, she said, and she urged students to shed inhibitions and "let the spirit flow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge