Professor touts the joys of reading and writing
Linda Schuppener English Professor
Linda Schuppener, professor of literature at Kirkwood Community College, has a welcoming attitude toward the unexpected.
Schuppener's journey toward her current work took her from the University of Illinois, where she began in a Pre-Med program, to the American College in Paris.
"I spent two years there as an English major, where a professor of mine told me, ‘You're a good writer. You should go to the University of Iowa,'" Schuppener recalled.
Schuppener, who has called Kirkwood home for more than 15 years, went on to pursue further degrees in English and American Studies.
Schuppener said the interdisciplinary approach of American Studies, which calls upon knowledge of history, culture and literature, gives a context for literature within society. She said she began to see "how literature taught you about the society that you lived in."
Schuppener said although many students are seeking a more technical education as opposed to one in the arts or humanities, a background in these areas is a huge asset.
"They help you to understand more about human beings," Schuppener said. "And when you know more about human nature, you understand more about how to persuade and encourage people."
Schuppener said she believes that students often "mistake grammar and punctuation for being good writers."
"There is a difference between being a correct writer and a good writer, in having a sense of language and metaphor and symbol," she said.
Schuppener fondly recalled students who, despite a lack of faith in their composition skills, produced beautiful and soulful pieces. Technical skills can be developed, she said, and she urged students to shed inhibitions and "let the spirit flow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE