Professor touts the joys of reading and writing
Linda Schuppener English Professor
Linda Schuppener, professor of literature at Kirkwood Community College, has a welcoming attitude toward the unexpected.
Schuppener's journey toward her current work took her from the University of Illinois, where she began in a Pre-Med program, to the American College in Paris.
"I spent two years there as an English major, where a professor of mine told me, ‘You're a good writer. You should go to the University of Iowa,'" Schuppener recalled.
Schuppener, who has called Kirkwood home for more than 15 years, went on to pursue further degrees in English and American Studies.
Schuppener said the interdisciplinary approach of American Studies, which calls upon knowledge of history, culture and literature, gives a context for literature within society. She said she began to see "how literature taught you about the society that you lived in."
Schuppener said although many students are seeking a more technical education as opposed to one in the arts or humanities, a background in these areas is a huge asset.
"They help you to understand more about human beings," Schuppener said. "And when you know more about human nature, you understand more about how to persuade and encourage people."
Schuppener said she believes that students often "mistake grammar and punctuation for being good writers."
"There is a difference between being a correct writer and a good writer, in having a sense of language and metaphor and symbol," she said.
Schuppener fondly recalled students who, despite a lack of faith in their composition skills, produced beautiful and soulful pieces. Technical skills can be developed, she said, and she urged students to shed inhibitions and "let the spirit flow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT