Professor touts the joys of reading and writing
Linda Schuppener English Professor
Linda Schuppener, professor of literature at Kirkwood Community College, has a welcoming attitude toward the unexpected.
Schuppener's journey toward her current work took her from the University of Illinois, where she began in a Pre-Med program, to the American College in Paris.
"I spent two years there as an English major, where a professor of mine told me, ‘You're a good writer. You should go to the University of Iowa,'" Schuppener recalled.
Schuppener, who has called Kirkwood home for more than 15 years, went on to pursue further degrees in English and American Studies.
Schuppener said the interdisciplinary approach of American Studies, which calls upon knowledge of history, culture and literature, gives a context for literature within society. She said she began to see "how literature taught you about the society that you lived in."
Schuppener said although many students are seeking a more technical education as opposed to one in the arts or humanities, a background in these areas is a huge asset.
"They help you to understand more about human beings," Schuppener said. "And when you know more about human nature, you understand more about how to persuade and encourage people."
Schuppener said she believes that students often "mistake grammar and punctuation for being good writers."
"There is a difference between being a correct writer and a good writer, in having a sense of language and metaphor and symbol," she said.
Schuppener fondly recalled students who, despite a lack of faith in their composition skills, produced beautiful and soulful pieces. Technical skills can be developed, she said, and she urged students to shed inhibitions and "let the spirit flow."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
- Home basketball games
- Eagles Basketball is off to a great start
- Performers steal the attention of the audience with performance of ‘The...
- Nolan’s new feature is out of this world
- Bob Dylan finds silver lining from accident; releases a collection of...
- Malala Yousafzai awarded Nobel Peace Prize
- Black Friday: To save or not to save
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor