Regent budget cuts won't affect Kirkwood
Cuts affect UNI, U of I and ISU
For students planning to transfer after their education is complete at Kirkwood Community College, the atmosphere surrounding state funding at Iowa's regent schools may be a little alarming. Recently approved budget cuts have cut numerous programs at University of Northern Iowa. University of Iowa and Iowa State University programs may be next line.
However, according to Steve Ovel, executive director of governmental relations for Kirkwood, the cuts being experienced by the regent schools will have no effect on funding for Kirkwood or any of the other community colleges in Iowa. This is because funding for the regent schools is separate from the funding for community colleges.
Funding levels for community colleges had dropped $20 million from 2009 levels, from $184 million per year down to
$164 million, said Ovel. But Ovel expressed optimism for the coming fiscal year's budget. There is a possibility of a $10 million increase for Iowa's community colleges. "I'd say that's a realistic probability but we'll just have to wait and see," Ovel explained. "It's still a very volatile kind of an environment and we just never take these things for granted," Ovel went on to say.
Kirkwood receives 26 percent to 27 percent of its funding from the state, according to Ovel, while tuition from students makes up 62 percent and property taxes contribute 3.2 percent.
The Iowa Board of Regents voted 9-0 to cut 22 undergraduate majors, 20 minors and 16 graduate programs offered at UNI. The regents have also suspended admissions to eight other programs while they undergo restructuring, resulting in the deepest cuts in the school's history. UNI will no longer offer degree programs in French and German as well as other subjects ranging from geology to microbiology, shrinking the choices available to students. Figures show as of last fall more than 400 students are enrolled in the affected programs.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR