Jaffe brings passion to Kirkwood
Russell Jaffe is a part-time teacher at Kirkwood, a poet and a Professional Development Fellow at the Kirkwood Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (KCELT). Amanda Mayotte
Russell Jaffe, a part-time instructor at Kirkwood Community College, is passionate about poetry and writing but loves teaching the most.
Jaffe is a native of Deerfield, Ill. He has since lived in Wisconsin and taught in Chicago and Brooklyn.
He attended Beloit College in Wisconsin for his undergraduate degree and Columbia College in Chicago for an M.F.A. in poetry.
He said he moved to Iowa in 2009 after teaching in New York. Currently Jaffe teaches Composition 1, Composition 2 and Write Poetry Right Now.
Though he holds a part-time position at Kirkwood, he said he wants nothing more than to be full time. "It kills me that I'm not," Jaffe said.
He said he appreciates Kirkwood's resources, students and the college's commitment to "transformational educational change."
While at Kirkwood, Jaffe said he has found a "huge" role model in Al Rowe, the executive director of Institutional Effectiveness. Jaffe described him as a "super-professional, hands-on, caring, passionate guy who is also very into outside-the box" and "transformational learning."
Jaffe said his poetry has been published in American Letters & Commentary and Colorado Review, among other publications. Three of his poems are now on the Red Lightbulbs website, www.redlightbulbs.net.
He is also the founder and editor of Strange Cage, a small poetry press in Iowa City. Strange Cage's website address is www.strangecage.org.
"I've always liked to write," Jaffe said. "I've always had a lot of passion and I've always had a lot of natural critical questioning skills."
Jaffe said Strange Cage will hold a poetry reading May 2 at 8 p.m. at the Bluebird Diner, 330 E. Market St., Iowa City.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program