Jaffe brings passion to Kirkwood
Russell Jaffe is a part-time teacher at Kirkwood, a poet and a Professional Development Fellow at the Kirkwood Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (KCELT). Amanda Mayotte
Russell Jaffe, a part-time instructor at Kirkwood Community College, is passionate about poetry and writing but loves teaching the most.
Jaffe is a native of Deerfield, Ill. He has since lived in Wisconsin and taught in Chicago and Brooklyn.
He attended Beloit College in Wisconsin for his undergraduate degree and Columbia College in Chicago for an M.F.A. in poetry.
He said he moved to Iowa in 2009 after teaching in New York. Currently Jaffe teaches Composition 1, Composition 2 and Write Poetry Right Now.
Though he holds a part-time position at Kirkwood, he said he wants nothing more than to be full time. "It kills me that I'm not," Jaffe said.
He said he appreciates Kirkwood's resources, students and the college's commitment to "transformational educational change."
While at Kirkwood, Jaffe said he has found a "huge" role model in Al Rowe, the executive director of Institutional Effectiveness. Jaffe described him as a "super-professional, hands-on, caring, passionate guy who is also very into outside-the box" and "transformational learning."
Jaffe said his poetry has been published in American Letters & Commentary and Colorado Review, among other publications. Three of his poems are now on the Red Lightbulbs website, www.redlightbulbs.net.
He is also the founder and editor of Strange Cage, a small poetry press in Iowa City. Strange Cage's website address is www.strangecage.org.
"I've always liked to write," Jaffe said. "I've always had a lot of passion and I've always had a lot of natural critical questioning skills."
Jaffe said Strange Cage will hold a poetry reading May 2 at 8 p.m. at the Bluebird Diner, 330 E. Market St., Iowa City.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent kirkwoodstudentmedia News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA NEWS
RECENT KIRKWOODSTUDENTMEDIA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections